OneLight Theatre Apprenticeship for Theatre Artists
OneLight Theatre is inviting theatre artists who would like to found their own company or produce their own professional productions to apply for a one-year apprenticeship with OneLight Theatre. During the year, the apprentice would work with OneLight’s Artistic Director, Shahin Sayadi, Managing Director, Maggie Stewart, and Technical Director, Jake Dambergs on all aspects of building a company and producing a show. The goal of the apprenticeship would be to help the participant plan, and possibly produce, a theatre show and to develop the skills, experience and professional connections necessary to establish a career as a professional
Support would be provided in the following areas:
- Understanding and articulating the apprentice’s artistic styles and methods
- Selecting and developing preliminary production plans for a show
- Developing a budget for a production
- Researching and applying for grants
- Developing fundraising skills
- Developing marketing and promotion skills
- Production and technical skills, including lighting and set design
- Incorporating a society and other administrative skills
- Basic accounting and bookkeeping
The apprentice would be invited to work in the OneLight office, use our resources, our support, advice and oversight. We would serve as mentors and liaisons to the Nova Scotia theatre community, and assist, the apprentice, as needed, to develop the skills and make the connections necessary to develop their production.
OneLight Theatre welcomes applications from any theatre artist who lives in or would be willing to relocate to Halifax. We will be giving priority to a theatre artist who identifies as being a member of a minority population (including Aboriginals, visible minorities, and people who are differently-abled.) Applicants should have either training or experience in theatre and should be seeking to begin their career as a professional theatre artist.
- Covering letter that details:
- training & experience;
- any other pertinent information that you think OneLight Theatre should know;
- a brief description of the work that you would like to do duringtheapprenticeship.
- 2 letters of reference from people who can speak to your abilities as a theatre artist
- Support material (reviews of productions, video tapes, etc.) (if available)
OneLight Theatre will be giving priority to applicants who are from a minority community. Applicants are not required to self-identify, but should be aware of the goals of the program.
Applications can be sent by email to email@example.com or post to:
PO Box 1603
Hfx CRO NS B3J 2Y3
Any questions can be directed to Maggie Stewart or Shahin Sayadi at 902 425 6812 or firstname.lastname@example.org.